The India Business Group has been appointed as strategic partner for the first India - Commonwealth SME Trade Summit. To be held 30 to 31 May in New Delhi, this inaugural event will gather public and private sector leaders from more than 40 countries to promote trade and investment among the members of the Commonwealth.
Alongside increasing protectionism in the global trade arena, the Commonwealth has come in sharp focus for creating economic growth through greater trade and investment among the 52 countries that comprise this group of nations.
Offering a common language, similar legal and political institutions and cultural ties, the $2.3 trillion commercial market which the 52 Commonwealth nations represents is a golden opportunity for our post Brexit economy. However, the intra-Commonwealth trade amounts to only 17% of the total Commonwealth global trade.
Organised by The Commonwealth Secretariat in conjunction with the Indian Ministry of Commerce & Industry, the summit will provide extensive networking opportunities and will host key platforms to link stakeholders as follows:
- High-level policymakers platform
- Sectoral B2B meetings platform
- Technology platform
- Innovation platform
Dr Rashmi Banga, Head of Trade at The Commonwealth Secretariat said: “We are delighted that the India Business Group is working with us in a partner capacity for this first major Commonwealth summit. Given the extensive advisory work of IBG in the UK - India corridor, they were an ideal choice of partner for this inaugural gathering of senior policy makers, education and business leaders in New Delhi”.
Amarjit Singh, CEO of India Business Group said: “IBG is delighted to be supporting this unique and influential summit spanning many types of industry across many countries which will help link up SME’s and boost levels of global trade and investment among the Commonwealth of nations”.
For further information about the summit and engagement opportunities, please visit the designated summit website at: www.icsa.net.in
Notes to Editors
(1) The India Business Group (IBG) is a leading advisory consultancy that specialises in helping organisations develop bilateral trade and investment opportunities between the UK and India markets. It is globally recognised as having specialist
expertise and regional know-how designed to support organisations with market entry and cross border business transactions.
(2) The Commonwealth is an intergovernmental organization of 52 member states, with an estimated population of nearly a third of the World’s population. With Brexit, and increasing protectionism in the global trade arena, the Commonwealth has come in sharp focus for creating economic growth through greater intra-commonwealth trade and investment.
(3) India - Commonwealth SME Association (ICSA) was launched in June 2016 by Secretary to Government of India, Ministry of MSME in New Delhi. It aims to provide a sustainable platform for SME exporters and importers to regularly meet, build awareness of existing global standards as well as to encourage investments in areas where the countries have competitiveness but lack requisite capacity.